5 Roofing Materials That Will Enhance The Look And Feel Of Your House
The roofing on your house highly determines the look and feel of your home. Considering that the roof is one of the most important parts of your home, you should strive to get your house a functional roof that also adds to the beauty of the home. Gone are the days when the only roofing material was metal sheets, there are so many and better material options today to bring out the best of your home exterior.
1. Asphalt shingles – They have become the most common roofing material for residential properties. This could be because the material is easy to install and very economical. Asphalt is available in different colors and is not as expensive and will actually also work with any given house style. However, asphalt shingles are not that long lasting and will not offer you insulation benefits. But on the positive side you can actually reinforce the shingles with organic materials or fiberglass without changing their appearance.
2. Slate – This roofing material offers distinctive beauty and elegant appearance thanks to the shades of red, purple, black, grey and green that it is available in. The good side of the material is that is it fire resistant, sustainable and can be recycled and it is also very durable. But it is heavy and expensive and you definitely will need a professional to install. Extra framing will also be needed for this roofing material. If you have a French chateau home, European and Colonial home style then this is the perfect material to bring out the elegance.
3. Tiles – roofing tiles can be made of concrete or clay and they add elegance and texture to your roof. The concrete tiles are quite versatile and they are more affordable compared to those made of genuine clay but they definitely are heavy. If you are looking for extreme durability, then you should consider genuine flat, scalloped or ribbed clay tiles. The tiles are non-combustible and long lasting whereas the concrete tiles tend to be more energy efficient. The only challenge with the tiles is that they are heavy and expensive and they could also call for additional framing too. The clay and concrete tiles are perfect for Mediterranean, Southwestern, Spanish and Mission home styles.
4. Wood shake and shingles – Wood shingles are machine cut, whereas the shakes are handmade and rougher compared to wood shingles in appearance. They can be treated to be fire resistant and they offer the rustic look especially those made from pine, and cedar. Redwood is also a favorite for many homeowners. Wooden shingle may however not be the best in wet climates and they are prone to rotting, splitting and molding. In some areas, fire codes prohibit the use of the wooden shingles and shakes. They, however make very good roofing choices for cottage, Tudor, Craftsman, Cape Cod and bungalow home styles.
5. Metal – This material is weather resistant and is now available in stylish shingles and panels. You can also find it in zinc, stainless steel, copper or aluminum. Metal roofs are lightweight, sleek, recyclable and long lasting compared to wood or asphalt but they can be expensive. The roofs are ideal for cottage, contemporary, cabins and bungalow home styles.